NB: Not attributed in 2012
To honour Dr. John S. Bates, first Chairman of the Technical Section (now PAPTAC). The award was instituted in 1964.
Purpose and Objectives
To foster the presentation of technical papers of high quality by members of PAPTAC Branches at meetings of the Branches.
Nature of Award
A certificate, a gold pin, and a textbook.
The annual competition is open to all members of PAPTAC Branches, whether or not the individuals competing are also members of the Association. In the case of papers which have been presented at meetings of Branches and at meetings of PAPTAC (such as the Annual Meeting or theme conferences), eligibility will be governed by the initial presentation. That is, if presented first at a Branch meeting, the paper will be eligible for the Bates Award; if presented first at a meeting of the Association, it will be eligible for the Weldon Award.
Not more than two entries will be accepted from each Branch. Papers presented during the Branch year just completed should be submitted by June 5th by the Branch Chairman and should be directed to the Executive Director of PAPTAC or to his appointee. It is strongly recommended that each Branch Chairman should consider it an obligation to submit at least one entry from his/her Branch.
The following rules apply:
- In arriving at their decision the judges will take into account:
- The practical value of the paper in its possible application to the pulp and paper industry.
- The amount of study and investigation shown in its preparation.
- The composition and literary merit.
- Papers to be eligible for competition must be the bona fide productions of those who contribute them and must not have been previously made public, nor made available to any other society in whole or in part, and will be the property of PAPTAC.
- In the event of the Executive Council not considering any paper in any one year of sufficient merit, no award will be made.
The papers entered will be judged by a committee formed by a chairman who is appointed by the Executive Council of PAPTAC.
The Award will be presented at a meeting of the winner's Branch or at the Annual Meeting of PAPTAC